Saturday, August 6, 2011

sc is calling me home

as i sit in my summer apartment for the last final hours, i sit back and think of everything that has had happened this summer. i spent over two months of my life in this place. with people i just met. working with kids from all kinds of backgrounds and family situations. will i ever see them again? will i ever see this apartment again? will i ever go back to national baptist memorial church? i have pictures and memories that capture this experience so well. but they're just images. in print and in my head. i'm picking everything back up and going back to the familiar. like nothing ever happened. as much as i'm looking forward to heading home to south carolina, i can honestly say i will miss this place. and the people. and the kids. it didn't really hit me until just now. just looking around the apartment, i can't help but think of the funny moments..or moments when we just needed to be alone because we were frustrated. and across the street is the church. the building i spent the majority of my time in. i know i'll see it again. whether it be next summer or later in life when i'm passing through. this place holds memories. a part of me is planted here. and it's definitely a place and experience i will truly never forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment